Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sweet leaves shade folly

The weather in New York today is getting me down. It's wet and cold. The past two nights have been pretty rough and I haven't been getting enough sleep. I'm really missing home these days. The last time I was home was September and I'm ready for a bit of time back in Baltimore. I could use some peace and quiet. But tonight is 30 Rock and The Office so I'll get my dose of laughter tonight. All I've got is a week and one whopping Philosophy paper between me and Thanksgiving break.

Right now I'm so tired I'm getting a little punchy. My brother posted some ridiculous pictures on my facebook and now I'm looking for adequate payback. So far, I've found some bizarrely semi-erotic Disney princesses as babies and some weird looking animals. The search continues...

So now for a word about Love's Labour's Lost.

A lot of people have been asking me: "Why Love's Labour's Lost? It's such a dense play." I honestly don't know why people don't do Love's Labour's more often. Of all of Shakespeare's plays, Love's Labour's Lost is the most accurate depiction of what it is to be young and in love, of what it's like to grow up. Being in love can kinda suck sometimes. And, in my experience, things usually don't work out.

People say that your late teens/twenties are the best years of your life. I'm not a twentysomething just yet, but I'm finding these years to be really tough. These are the years when you're figuring out who you are and what you stand for. You live hard, love hard, lose hard. I've faced plenty of challenges most nineteen year olds never have to deal with, but I still think these years are tough on everybody. That's the story I want to tell right now. That's what's driving me. And considering this production with be entirely student driven, I think its an appropriate choice.

A lot of people take issue with the ending of Love's Labour's, but I love it. And I'm definitely of the opinion that if you don't love a play, don't direct it if you have a choice in the matter. Just as the four sets of lovers are finally beginning to admit their love for each other, a messenger from France arrives with news that the King of France is dead. The Princess and her court must return home immediately. It's one of the most gut-wrenchingly heart breaking scenes in Shakespeare's cannon. Unlike Romeo and Juliet, we see a tragic ending to a love story that is achingly real. There is a moment in every young person's life, when you realize that just because you love someone and they love you back, that things can work out the way you want them to. If you have heart, this scene will break it. But there is still hope at the end of the goodbyes. Shakespeare seems to gently encourage the viewer/reader. This hurts now, but don't worry, it'll be okay. If you love each other, the love will last. If it doesn't, you will love again.

Next time: COMEDY. And the pictures I posted on Joe's wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment